[AfriNIC-rpd] Last Call for Comments: Global Policy Proposal for the Allocation of IPv4 Blocks to Regional

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Mon Jun 8 13:22:40 UTC 2009

Thanks SM, Scott.

John, I think Scott and SM have addresses your queries quite exhaustively.
We¹ll still need IPv4 for quite some time.

The policy has been approved in some RIR¹s as-is and approved in other
regions with a few changes. In line with the global PDP, for a policy
proposal to pass as a global policy, it must get consensus (as-is) from all
the 5 RIR¹s. This is not the case with this policy and as Scott rightly puts
it, we should be seeing a revised policy proposal soon.

Regards,

-Vincent

On 6/7/09 6:54 AM, "SM" <sm at resistor.net> wrote:

> At 17:02 06-06-2009, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>> >While we do need everyone to start supporting IPv6 as soon as
>> >possible, the requirement for dual-stack connectivity means there will
>> >be a continued need for IPv4 addresses, at least for transitional
>> >technologies, until almost everyone has transitioned to IPv6 and all
>> >IPv4 islands are using something like NAT-PT to talk to the IPv6
>> >Internet. That will take a few years past IANA exhaustion, at best,
>> >and may take a decade or more.
>
> Adding to what Scott said, this is not like the transition between
> ARPANET and the Internet which took over five years.  Some people
> have suggested not to extend the lifetime of IPv4 by adopting such
> policies.  Unfortunately, given the scale of the Internet, there will
> still be a need for IPv4 for the years to come.  There may be IPv4
> and IPv6 islands.  You'll need gateways (dual-stack hosts) to connect
> them together.  It's not so difficult, relatively speaking, for web
> access.  Google, for example, already offers IPv6 access for some
> networks.  There are a lot of other "application" protocols in use
> over the Internet.  The translation gateways to get them to work
> probably won't be on the ISP side as there is less demand.
>
> Take a look at your network and find out how many of your devices
> support IPv6.  Find out how many of the software you use have IPv6 support.
>
> Regards,
> -sm

believed to be clean.