[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 Allocations for Non-Profit Networks

Jean-Robert Hountomey hrobert at iservices.tg
Sun May 24 17:13:44 UTC 2009

      For my understanding

      > Define criteria for non-profit and community organizations to be
recognized for > membership of AfriNIC and to allow them to request
resources.

      How can we agree at the regional level on

      "non profit and community org"

      >These networks have goals including providing on-net and local
community >services and the exchange locally hosted Internet content. They
provide a >platform for local skills development in IP, SysAdmin, Software
Development >and other ICT related skills.

      >Many of these organizations provide the services free of charge and
do not have >any kind of revenue stream. These networks generally consist of
hundreds or >thousands of consumer-grade network devices often linked though
license >exempt radio networking technologies.

      Are they service providers ? If yes can't they fit in one of the
existing policies?

      >Current financial policies only recognize academic institutions to
receive >discounted rates for their numbering resources. Other suitably
defined >community organizations also need ways of obtaining affordable
addressing >resources.

      http://www.afrinic.net/docs/billing/afcorp-fee200708.htm

      There are some discounts to promote ipv6

      b.For New LIRs:
      i.Allow 50% discount on the initial setup fee and 100% discount on the
first year's membership fee for a LIR with IPv6 only allocation.
      ii.Allow respectively 75%, 50%, 25% discount on the membership fee for
the three the subsequent years.

      >It is not clear whether the organisation has end-users.  The main
      >problem is that the organisation does not have any money.

      I will assume that people of the community are end users.

       > I only worry whether this could be abused.

      If the previous discount model can't work.
      How can we have something workable at the regional level and avoid
this ?