[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: rpd Digest, Vol 37, Issue 2

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue May 19 08:32:29 UTC 2009

Hi Ernest,
At 08:21 17-05-2009, Ernest - (AfriNIC) wrote:
>Please see attached document with stats as required.

Thanks for the statistics.

>Hope this helps, and let us know if you need additional info.

I took a look at the IPv4 allocation data publicly available.  That
is not enough for an analysis.  I won't ask you for additional
information as I would not have enough time to process it.  Please
read what follows as comments and not as a projection of demand for
IPv4 addresses or a prediction about IPv4 address exhaustion.

Figure 1 (PDF file posted by Ernest) shows an expected demand for 1.4
/8 IPv4 addresses for the year 2009.  The trend points to consumption
of more than one /8 IPv4 address block yearly.  According to Figure 2
from the PDF, there is a growth in the Extra Small LIRs over the last
five years.  Figure 3 shows a drop in average annual growth per LIR
in the year 2008.   I think that the growth for this year should be
above the level for the year 2007.

According to publicly available allocation data from AfriNIC, there
are currently LIR members from 44 countries in the region.  The top
country has 65% of the allocation.  95% is allocated to the first
eleven countries.  Sixteen countries in the region take up 97% of
allocated IPv4 address space (aggregation of LIRs by country with the
equivalent of a /16 IPv4 address block).  Over the last three years,
56% of allocations have been for a /20 IPv4 address block or less.

I didn't look into what can be done with a /23 or four of them
(assuming it's the maximum allocation).  Although the proposed policy
provides for new LIR members to get an allocation of IPv4 addresses,
it might not be much of a difference for most LIRs in countries with
less than a /16 of IPv4 addresses.  For those with a comparatively
sizable IPv4 address allocation, it certainly doesn't look like much
of a difference.

Regards,
-sm