[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: rpd Digest, Vol 37, Issue 2

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu May 14 14:18:59 UTC 2009

Hi Douglas,
At 06:19 14-05-2009, Douglas Onyango wrote:
>Correct, its the four allocations in the
>exhaustion phase here....because the proposal
>cuts from the current allocation phase into the
>Exhaustion phase, the "Additional" word i believe is not misplaced

I made a mistake when I wrote the question.  It
should be "Why" instead of "Which".  As my
question was not answered, I'll ask it again:

My question is about whether the aggregate
allocation (one + four) will allow equitable
distribution of IPv4 addresses among LIRs.  To
put it differently, how did you reach these numbers?

Leo and Graham commented on setting the limit for
IPv4 address space that can be allocated during
the Exhaustion phase.  I believe that we are asking similar questions.

>My definitions contains the following.......

[snip]

>(c) New LIR´s A new LIR is defined as being an
>organization which has recently become a member
>of AfriNIC but has yet to be assigned or allocated any IPv4 address space.

It's better not to use "recently"?  You are
proposing a policy that AfriNIC will have to
implement.  If the policy is unclear, AfriNIC
will have to interpret the intent and that may cause problems.

I suggest a change to the definitions:

    (b) Existing LIR´s An existing LIR is defined as being an organization that
    assigns address space to 'end-users' and who
has already been assigned or allocated
    IPv4 address space by AfriNIC.

    (c) New LIR´s A new LIR is defined as being
an organization that assigns address
    space to 'end-users' and who is a member of
AfriNIC but has not been assigned or
    allocated any IPv4 address space prior to the Exhaustion phase.

There is a definition for Critical Infrastructure
Provider.  However, there is no mention of them
in the policy.  Are they covered by the Soft landing policy?

   "A /16 IPv4 address block will be in reserve out of the last /8 pool. This
   /16 IPv4 address block shall be preserved by AfriNIC for some future uses,
    as yet unforeseen."

I suggest using "reserved" instead of preserved.

Regards,
-sm