[AfriNIC-rpd] Softlanding Proposal Update

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu May 14 08:50:14 UTC 2009

Hi Graham,

I won't respond to the first part of your message for now.

At 01:07 14-05-2009, Graham Beneke wrote:
>I think that this puts the focus on the wrong aspects. We are trying to
>drive IPv6 adoption are we not? It should not be an afterthought once
>the IPv4 space has been allocated.

Let's not mix evangelisation and operational matters.  It's up to the
members to determine whether they want to use this proposal to drive
IPv6 adoption.  It's not up to me to determine the financial impact. :-)

>I would suggest rather - that all IPv4 space requests during the
>exhaustion phase will only be accepted once the LIR has been allocated
>(or has had an allocation approved) of IPv6 space under the current IPv6
>allocation policy.
>
>There is already plenty of IPv6 space that has been allocated but never
>used. I think that LIRs MUST have IPv6 space and have a concrete
>deployment plan before they can be considered for IPv4 space during the
>exhaustion phase.

That's one of the questions item (b) may have to address.

Regards,
-sm