[AfriNIC-rpd] Softlanding Proposal Update

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed May 13 20:23:52 UTC 2009

Hi Douglas,

Thank you for sharing this.

I am not sure if I have understood the proposal properly and would be
grateful if you could please clarify some things for me.

On 13/05/2009 12:15, "Douglas Onyango" <ondouglas at yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

> During the exhaustion phase, the following allocation and assignment policy
> for the last /8 IPv4 address will be used:

Does this policy only apply to the /8 to be allocated to AfriNIC under the
recently ratified global policy, or does it apply to other IPv4 space held
by AfriNIC at that time?

> a) Instead of the /22 block (1024) addresses allocated in the current policy,
> the new minimum allocation size of /23 (512 addresses) will be allocated to
> any LIR that requests for IPv4 resources. This is also the maximum allocation
> size, even though LIRs may request for more than a /23. No LIR may get more
> than 4 additional allocations once the Exhaustion phase has begun.

Does this mean that a new LIR may receive one initial allocation plus four
additional allocations, or is it a maximum of four /23 allocations in total?

I am not sure how many LIRs you would like to benefit from this policy. It
would be good to check the proposal against the current and projected
AfriNIC membership numbers to see whether it is possible to be more
generous.

Kind regards,

Leo Vegoda