[AfriNIC-rpd] IP address management practices/guidelines for ISPs

SM sm at resistor.net
Wed Mar 4 18:39:38 UTC 2009

At 07:06 04-03-2009, McTim wrote:
>Not if it recovers an LIRs cost of running the LIR.  COsts of running
>an LIR can be more than the "yearly charge for an IPv4 address".

I used the yearly charge and did not take capital and operational
costs into account.  An ISP could show that the running costs
requires setting the "cost" of an IPv4 address to USD 100.00.  That
would push the customer to use NAT instead of globally unicast IPv4
addresses which is against the intent of the guidelines to discourage
abusive NAT usage.

The table below gives a rough approximate "cost" of an IPv4 address
in some countries:

  U.S.A.      USD  5.00
  Canada      USD  5.00
  U.K.        USD 10.00