[AfriNIC-rpd] AS4 / 32bit ASN's

alain aina aalain at trstech.net
Fri Jan 16 23:59:20 UTC 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Andrew Alston wrote:

> I'm VERY worried that people are going to be applying for ASN's, not
> quite understanding this whole 32bit/16bit ASN scenario as they are
> new to BGP and new to the whole game, and get handed 32bit ASN's by
> default which a.) they cannot use on their own equipment unless its
> absolutely cutting edge (and even most of that doesnt yet support
> this) or b.) if they are lucky enough to HAVE equipment that
> supports 32bit ASN's will find that there is no one out there that
> can neighbor with them for peering or transit!
>
> I'm not asking that we revoke the policy, that would be contrary to
> what every other RIR is doing, I'm asking for a warning, which by
> the way RIPE has also put on their documents according to someone I
> spoke to there today.
>
> Any comments/thoughts?

  On the ASN request template (http://www.afrinic.net/forms/affrm-asn200501.htm
), i  read

# 4-BYTE OR 2-BYTE AS NUMBER ?
# # Please indicate what length (in bytes) of AS Number
  # you are requesting. (example, 2-byte or 4-byte). Please note
# that 4-byte ASNs are a new standard and that some equipment
# may need a firmware upgrade in order to support 4-byte ASNs.

--alain