[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 Allocations to Non-Profit Networks

Graham Beneke graham-ml at apolix.co.za
Wed Jan 14 21:25:29 UTC 2009

Ronald Nsubuga wrote:
>> The other issue is the policy does not define whether an ASN will be
>> provided to those organisations who apply.
>>

> I think this can be the "non-profit" should already have an ASN in
> place ready for use before requesting for the v6 addresses.

I think that the current policy on AS Number assignment quite adequately
covers the assignment of ASNs to an "AfriNIC member in a good standing".
This policy would allow the organizations to become members and then
they would be able to request an ASN like any other AfriNIC member.

There is also no technical requirement for a prefix to be announced from
a public ASN to peers in order for it to be usable.

--
Graham Beneke
Apolix Internet Services