[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 Allocations to Non-Profit Networks

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Wed Jan 14 08:23:51 UTC 2009

Just a couple of questions regarding this, though I do support what I
see as the thought behind the policy.

First of all, how do you define a non-profit entity/network.  In my
opinion, you cannot give space under this policy to a "community"
network unless it is a legal entity.  Now, in the case of things like
the Wireless User Groups and other community networks, how many of these
are actually legally defined entities.  As has already been raised, even
with these legal entities, how many of the countries have ways to define
"non-profit" organizations?  If we get this definition right and define
the criteria for qualification correctly, we will help eliminate the
problem of people attempting to abuse this policy to get free space for
commercial use.

I like the thought behind this because money in NGO's and non-profit
organizations (and community based initiatives) is often extremely
tight, and promoting IPv6 should be high on the list of things to do, I
just think we need to very carefully hammer out how we define who this
policy applies to, and how its controlled.

As for, would I be happy to see a small commercial ISP pay and see a
large non-profit not pay?  Yes, I would, because size doesn't really
come into this, what comes into it is what the space will be used for in
the long term.  IPv6 space used by non-profit, research and other such
entities should be being used to uplift the African people, where as the
small commercial entity is still using the space to generate income,
thats the fundamental difference, not the size of the entity involved.

Just my thoughts

Andrew Alston
TENET - Chief Technology Officer