[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing Policy

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 09:41:32 UTC 2009

Mark,

We are in agreement on all.

I just wanted to add one more point that is possible for this
community to consider.  I am not advocating the below, just putting it
out there.

Since we in the AfriNIC region will likely have v4 space after the
other RIRs have run out, it may turn out that a market for IPv4
address space thrives for a very short period, and v4 addresses can be
leased for very large sums of money.  Many are suggesting this will
happen, and I think it would be useful for the community to think
about and state exactly what we want in regards to this.

Do we want to:

1.  Keep AfriNIC resources in Africa. If so, perhaps your plan would
be useful to write into a proposal.

2. Allow our LIRs to sub-allocate/assign to organisations outside the
region under commercial terms dictated by some color of market
(white/grey/black).

3. Allow AfriNIC itself to allocate to organisations outside Africa at
a price structure MUCH higher (1 or maybe 2 orders of magnitude maybe)
than that set for LIRs in Africa.

The benefit of this is obvious.  If the RIR can fund itself long term
from this revenue stream, the costs for those inside Africa would go
down, AfriNIC could invest the proceeds for the long term, and
increase spending on education/capacity building, etc.

4. a combination of 2 & 3.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread?

In any case, I'd like to hear some opinions on this, hopefully as many
as possible.

--
Cheers,

McTim