[AfriNIC-rpd] IPV6 Adoption

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Apr 17 14:15:13 UTC 2008

philemon wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The issue of IPv6 in africa is very serious. we should not do as all
> things are moving smoothly ahead.
> As we all know AINA has allocated two IPv6 addresses blocs
> (2001:4200::/23 and 2c00::/12) to Afrinic, but only a very few african
> institutions/organisations have barely requested the sub-blocs
> To encourage the deployment of IPv6 in Africa, Afrinic has set up many
> policies and initiatives. Prices were dropped; consciousness-raising
> lectures and training are being organized in many countries.
> Indespite of that the tendency is not a good sign! THERE IS A PROBLEM.
> Our role as a afrinic community is to find the way to solve this problem.
>
>> AfrINIC cannot do this alone and thus needs our support.
> Who is AfrINIC? It is a community, you and me...

I very much agree with this statement - the folk over in the Mauritian
office are not AfriNIC - the community is AfriNIC - and only those who
involve themselves can hope to make any impact... so people need to be
involved, participate in appropriate mailing lists and if possible, come
to the meetings.

I'm still wondering on the impact to IPv6 take-up if the cost of IPv6
resources were to be reduced to a "SetUp" fee with no annual fees until
IPv4 address space has been fully allocated.The reason to do this is to
remove any financial reason from a resources point of view in being
"early" adopters of IPv6.

There are still other costs - Routers may need upgrading - etc...

At least the techies can then experiment - etc.

> Back to the situation. Even for the little of sub-blocs (/32)
> allocated in the region, only a part is presented in the internet
> routing tables, this means that a part of the allocated addresses is
> not actually in use. One also note that only one or two countries in
> the continent are active in the deployment of IPv6 networks, as they
> are using the most of the allocated IPv6 addresses.
> As we are all aware with,  only South Africa, to a least extent Egypt,
> which is active in the deployment of IPv6 networks in Africa. This
> show that some think can be make in other countries in the continent.
>
> WHY IT IS NO SO IN OTHER COUNTRIES?
>

> Anyway, many IPv6 tests have been made and proved conclusive. This was
> done by using some available techniques in connection with local
> constraints:
>
> -         IPv6-over-IPv4, communication with ipv6 sites by using the
> existent ipv4 infrastructure(RFC4213, RFC4891)
>
> -         Tunnel broker, for the isolated IPv6 machines (in ipv4
> network) which want to connect to an existent ipv6 network
>
> -         Teredo (RFC4380), designed to robustly enable ipv6 traffic
> through the NAT keeping then the end-to-end principle even in both
> sides of the NAT.
>

>     > IMO, I think the issues we need to urgently address are as follows:
>>
>> (a) Deployment
>

> This shows that the techniques are to certain extent knowned in the
> countinent. WHAT IS MISSING?
>

>> (d) Policy
>> IMO, the current v6 policies for the AfriNIC region will suffice,
> I agree, at this stage the problem is not the policy
>
>>> the resources in the region but the question is how long and thus
>>> for future
>>> sustainability are we ready for V6 transition ?
> It is not a transition-as this means to left v4 ans switch to
> v6-rather a deployment of ipv6...
>
>>> 3) Are you aware of any government supported initiatives around the V6
>>> adoption
>
>>> 5) Any suggestions on what we should be doing as a community ??
>
> We all in the community are aware of the obstacles to the deployment
> of IPv6 in Africa; to refresh they are the following:
>

>  a.. The lack of information (many ISPs, privates, policymakers are
> still unaware of IPv6)
>  b.. The cost of the migration and deployment
>  c.. The lack of stimulus
>  d.. The unaware of commercial advantages and benefits
>  a.. The Lack of public sector commitment
>

> Now the problem is WHAT SHOULD BE DONE? WHO SHOULD DO WHAT?
>
> Sorry for being so long.
>
> Regards
>
> Philemon
>

> KISSANGOU Jean Philemon
> Directeur Technique DRTVnet (ISP)
> BP. 2852 Brazzaville Congo
> Tel. 002425360396
> www.drtvnet.cg
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Vincent Ngundi" <vincent at kenic.or.ke>

  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE
/ |/ |ARK \_/ /__ LKINS  Tel: +27 12 807 0590  Cell: +27 82 601 0496