[AfriNIC-rpd] IPV6 Adoption

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Fri Mar 28 14:02:12 UTC 2008

On 28/03/2008 15:11 Rob Hunter wrote:
> traffic I could ever see in the form of graphs, was to FreeBSD mirrors.
> "If you build it they will come" just isn't working for IPv6. What we
> need is content.

Uh, this is pretty much the chicken and egg issue. The reason you
don't see alot of transit is because the users don't have IPv6 yet.
Those of us stuck with LM transit can only beg and plead futilely for
someone with IPC to actually just enable IPv6 on their PPPoE
concentrators - I suspect though there is a more sinister issue that
SAIX intercept that away from them, but it's so shrouded in mystery no
one seems to give a technically sound answer as to why
IS/Verizon/MTN-NS/SAOL or others can't just... turn it on. Others have
better answers like that some of the edge routers can't dual stack
properly - and some poorly purchased RAS equipment might actually not
support it at all.

You also say these are experimental? Why, if as you say, it as been
worked on for so long is it still experimental?