[AfriNIC-rpd] IPV6 Adoption

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri Mar 28 12:27:11 UTC 2008

Badru Ntege wrote:
> Hi Mark
>

>> Agreed. I'm also surprised by the lack of take-up of IPv6 address
>> allocations.  Perhaps AfriNIC could add incentive by not billing
>> anything for holding IPv6 address space (still charge the initial fee)
>> until we run out of IPv4. That way - it doesn't matter if people get
>> address space now or later - everyone starts to pay at the same time.
>> This should not effect the income stream of AfriNIC because the same
>> people will still be paying for IPv4 addresses - for quite a few years
>> still...
>>
>> If its not going to effect the bean-counters of the IPS's that the
>> Techies work for - Techies will get their addresses.
>> If Techies have their IPv6 allocations/assignments - they'll want to
>> play with them.
>> Things may just happen (snowball) a little faster.
>>

> Does this call for a new policy ?.  I think if you can put together a good
> case for this and the community adopts the policy if it will help on the
> adoption i see no reason.

I understand that topics like price fixing is done totally by the
Board of Directors/Internally at AfriNIC (etc) - and not so much by the
community.

Am I Wrong?

Do I think it (Price changing) would help promote IPv6? - Yes.
Will I do my part in speaking about IPv6? - I've given one presentation
- and gladly
do more (yes - I have volunteered for Morocco)

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE