[AfriNIC-rpd] IPV4 Depletion issues and implications

Nsubuga Ronald napstertash at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 06:36:10 UTC 2008

Hullo Mouhamet n all,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Mouhamet Diop <mouhamet at next.sn> wrote:

> Hello Badru and Alan,
>
> I think we should reconsider the question of the Central Pool to gather
> returned IP address space.
>
> The problem of return IP address space is not an African one (our users
> are
> not ceoncerned), it is for sure an US problem and a solution for new RIR
> like Afrinic and lacnic.
>
> So if the answer is "we should not interfere into that local policy
> discussion" , it won't be resolved at all...
>
> Central Pool is a good concept but reallocation policy for the returned
> Pool
> of Address I sa more important topic to discuss and registry like AFRINIC
> and LACNIC will gained more to have that policy discussed a shared policy
> rather than a policy for each RIR.
>
> So if we want the solution to the IPv4 depletion, the question of the
> Central Pool of returned IP address should be considered as central and
> not
> local.

I think the central pool for the returned IP address space should be local
for a given time t and there after it can be centralized.

In this case it will be the RIRs to inform IANA that the following have been
returned and after the defined time t, the address space can be returned to
IANA to be centrally managed, it would be good to have the post depltion as
well locally managed.

Regards
Ronald Nsubuga.

> Regards