[AfriNIC-rpd] IPV6 Adoption

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Mar 27 12:33:38 UTC 2008

McTim wrote:

>>  5) Any suggestions on what we should be doing as a community ??
>>

> Keep up/increase the training courses/capacity building.

Agreed. I'm also surprised by the lack of take-up of IPv6 address
allocations.  Perhaps AfriNIC could add incentive by not billing
anything for holding IPv6 address space (still charge the initial fee)
until we run out of IPv4. That way - it doesn't matter if people get
address space now or later - everyone starts to pay at the same time.
This should not effect the income stream of AfriNIC because the same
people will still be paying for IPv4 addresses - for quite a few years
still...

If its not going to effect the bean-counters of the IPS's that the
Techies work for - Techies will get their addresses.
If Techies have their IPv6 allocations/assignments - they'll want to
play with them.
Things may just happen (snowball) a little faster.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE