[AfriNIC-rpd] IPV4 Depletion issues and implications

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 20:37:55 UTC 2008

Here are my 200 shillingi:

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Badru Ntege <ntegeb at one2net.co.ug> wrote:
> Members

<snip>
>  1. Should the RIRs jointly undertake policies or practices to regarding the
>  depletion of the free pools of the IANA or RIRs?

IANA free pool sure, RIR free pools, no.

>         a. Should a central pool be created to gather returned IP address
>  space?

probably not, since there won't be any significant space returned in future.

>How should this pool be administered and managed?

I'm guessing IANA will wait until there are 5 /16's returned and then
give one to each?  That's assuming that the space will be returned to
the IANA!

Should this be
>  established by an inter-RIR policy?

no

>         b. Is there a deleterious effect caused by the adoption of differing
>  transfer policies in some regions that are more liberal than those that
>  currently exist in the regions?

probably, but that's unavoidable, given that each region sets their
own policies.

>         c. Should an inter-RIR policy be developed for the purpose of
>  conducting transfers of Internet Number Resources between regions?

for the RIRs themselves to transfer? or LIRs to transfer?

I think my answer is no on both counts.

If we do an inter-RIR policy(for the RIRs to transfer), so that
AfriNIC transfers space to ARIN for use by ARIN members, then African
networks will run out of space faster than they would have without
such a policy in place.

For LIR transfers, folk will offer other folk cash and
transit/services deals for the use of address space.  If our friendly
para-statal telco LIR with a /16 wants to calve off (sub-allocate) a
/17 and lease it to, say, Verizon in the USA, it wouldn't have to be
registered in the ARIN Db to be used in the USA.  2 routes in the IRRs
would do the trick.  What problem would an inter-RIR transfer policy
solve? Would it just specify the parameters of such transfers
(regulation of market)?

--
Cheers,

McTim