[AfriNIC-rpd] Value of N for Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue Oct 2 15:13:19 UTC 2007

Jean Robert HOUNTOMEY-ISERVICES wrote:
> My preference will be N=1
>
> +27 767971456

My vote (and it was my suggestion that we try and clarify by show of
hands what 'N' should be)
is that N=2

Why?

Well - one would be technically enough - but we have many places in
Africa where the use of NAT and Double NAT is common practice. Be nice
to eradicate this.
I would like to see a policy such as when we climb into the last address
space - allocations are limited in size to /20's and any one
organisation is limited to a max of one request per six months... to
encourage the growth of AfriNIC customers and to allow for the creation
of start-up businesses.

There are still very few African IXP's  - these really need real IP
addresses and ASN's - this work (an IXP per country) is far from
finished - only about a third of Africa has been done. (53 countries, 18
or so IXP's).

I really do understand we need to move to IPv6 - but IPv4 is still going
to be around for a good 15 or so years (gut feel).

If its never used - we can always give it to one of the other RIR's. If
we need it and don't have it - tough.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE