رد: [AfriNIC-rpd] Global_Policy_IPv4_proposal

Hytham EL Nakhal hytham at mcit.gov.eg
Sat Sep 15 23:03:28 UTC 2007

Hi Vincent,

Your correction is right, but that formula was in version1. version 2 which is now on the website without formula and you'll find the formula in the presentation of the proposal to explain how does the proposal work.
Thank you Vincent.

Regards,
Haitham..

________________________________

من: rpd-bounces at afrinic.net بالنيابة عن Vincent Ngundi
تاريخ الإرسال: الاربعاء 9/12/2007 8:12 ص
إلى: AfriNIC Resource Policy Discussion List
نسخة: rpd-bounces at afrinic.net
الموضوع: Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] Global_Policy_IPv4_proposal

Hi All,

I support this policy.

Just one correction though:

<snip>

"2.1. Calculations for the final assignments

The remaining space will be distributed, by assigning each RIR five block units (/8s) and the remaining  space will be assigned to the RIR that submitted the last request. So for simplifing the process we can put the above describtion into equations; assuming that:

X is the IPv4 (/8) unit blocks available before the last request and R is the number of RIRs recognized by ICANN

T = 5*(/8)        ,where (T: Bolck to be assigned to each RIR by IANA)

Y = X - (5*R)     ,where (Y: Surplus of /8 after assignment of 5 /8 to each RIR)

------> I think this should be Y = X - (5*T)

B = T + Y         ,where (B: Final assignment for the last RIR request, which request IPv4 block from IANA when the threshold is reached) "

</snip>

Otherwise, I think the policy is OK as it is. I wish we would have looked at _equitable distribution instead of _equal distribution as the needs of the different regions are different. But I think we all need to realise that IPv4 exhaustion will happen sooner or later no matter how much we try to prolong it's life time in the different regions. The best option is to deploy IPv6.

I hope we can get global consensus on this as soon as possible.

Regards,

-Vincent