رد: [AfriNIC-rpd] What is our take on the central pool IPv4exhaustion?

Hytham EL Nakhal hytham at mcit.gov.eg
Sat Sep 1 10:22:47 UTC 2007

________________________________

من: rpd-bounces at afrinic.net بالنيابة عن Bill Woodcock
تاريخ الإرسال: الاثنين 8/13/2007 12:24 ص
إلى: AfriNIC Resource Policy Discussion List
الموضوع: RE: [AfriNIC-rpd] What is our take on the central pool IPv4exhaustion?

      On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Andrew Alston wrote:
    > How does it make sense for us  to do everything we can to prolong
    > the life of IPv4 on the continent while the rest of the world is
    > going to be *forced* to move to something else, by doing this all
    > we are doing is once again condemning ourselves to living behind the
    > rest of the world, at their mercy again.

I think perhaps this rests on the assumption that the rest of the world
will be converting to IPv6 over the next couple of years.  While I'd very
much love for that to happen, the process has been going on for twelve
years already, and is likely to take another fifteen to complete.  So
people in the rest of the world will continue to be using more IPv4
addresses each year than the year before, for a while yet.

So, I encourage everyone to do whatever they can to make IPv6 a reality as
soon as possible, but also not to burn any bridges behind, just yet.
There are a lot of users in the world who won't have access to IPv6
content for quite some time, and a lot of content that won't be accessible
to IPv6-only users for quite some time.  Dual-stack deployments will exist
for quite a while.

                                -Bill