[AfriNIC-rpd] Do we push for more V4 or advocate dual stack ??

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Fri Aug 31 06:11:18 UTC 2007

On 31/08/2007 07:46 David Conrad wrote:
> Jordi,
>
> On Aug 30, 2007, at 10:16 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>> For running dual-stack, you don't need public IPv4 addresses.
>
> I thought that at a bare minimum, you needed public IPv4 addresses for
> the NAT gateways and any public facing IPv4 services.

In a world where people need IPv6 facing services, it doesn't matter
whether you are using private or public IPv4 for connecting core
infrastructure.

> The reality is that there is old gear out there that can't be upgraded
> for one reason or another.  This will continue to be the case.  A
> prudent course of action would be for folks to take an inventory of
> their equipment and software systems and perform triage
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triage) to figure out what's hopeless,
> what can be fixed, and what is OK.  Once this is done, people can get an
> idea of what they're in store for when IPv4 address space is no longer
> available via traditional means.

Large equipment that is just used for switching can still be used long
into the future (possibly in limited feature sets though) by tunneling
over it from cheaper aggregation hardware which support dual stack and
SIT.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>     ______
Linux & Internet Services           /\_\_\_\