[AfriNIC-rpd] Do we push for more V4 or advocate dual stack ??

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Aug 31 05:16:37 UTC 2007

Frank,

One fundamental mistake, I already indicated several times. For running
dual-stack, you don't need public IPv4 addresses.

As a consequence of that, in my opinion is a mistake to invest efforts in
looking for "expanding" the IPv4 addressing space, or making policies that
never are going to be fair in between different regions and could create
kind of "policy wars". The effort is worth to be used in implementing IPv6
instead.

Regarding the 2nd hand equipment. If you have equipment that don't run IPv6,
it should be so old (more than 5-6 years) that it is not reliable. I really
thing that's a mistake in any network, as you can't provide a good service,
so customers are unsatisfied and will move sooner or later to other
providers.

Moreover, those 2nd hand routers are also incapable, for example, of using
224/8, which is one of the possible alternatives to "extend" IPv4 lifetime,
so it is not going to be useful.

Regards,
Jordi