[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [IOZ] Fwd: AfriNIC position on the future of IP number resources

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Fri Aug 3 08:45:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

Adiel, this is good timing, thanks for your post. I think it's great
that AfriNIC are promoting this now, and even better that based on
the latest IPv6 PI policy, Uniforum can now support IPv6 (albeit that
most of our first tier networks don't) .

One of the reasons - as you know - for my involvement in  AfriNIC was
because of the barriers to entry for small ISPs accross Africa. The
biggest hurdle, being the high costs. I had initially hoped that by
having an African RIR we would realise even lower prices (through
lower costs of operations) although the costs are much more than
those who had obtained address space from our previous RIR.

It appears that for a small SA ISP the costs would have been more
than 50% less than AfriNIC if we were still using ARIN. ie. start at
R8000 as opposed to R16,000 (Okay, given this is for a smaller
allocation, even if one compares apples with apples AfriNIC is still
10% more).

Sincerely,

Alan

Alan Levin