[AfriNIC-rpd] Call for Comments for IPv6 HD Ratio Change

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue May 22 13:32:27 UTC 2007

Alain Patrick AINA wrote:
> On Saturday 12 May 2007 15:26:34 Duncan Martin wrote:
>
>> Planning the pattern of prefix assignments is important not only for RIRs
>> but also for LIRs.  For example, at the 2005 IPv6 Global Summit in
>> Barcelona, a recommendation was made concerning assignments by LIRs to
>> university campus networks.  It was recommended that /48 assignments should
>> be made on /44 boundaries so as to provide adequately for subsequent
>> contiguous assignments to meet future needs of the campuses.
>>
>> Tertiary
>> Education Network (TENET), which acts as a LIR for South African
>> universities and research institutions, has adopted precisely such a
>> reservation policy governing its assignments to participating institutions.
>>

> LIRs for NREN many  need a specific policy which  covers various aspects
> including  this one.

It may make sense to allow the current HD Ratio change to go through and
put through a new proposal for use by REN's to be excluded - or rather -
if they are following the above guideline - for that to be taken into
consideration.

In the presentation I did (IPv6 Deployment) - I gave an example of
splitting up my range geographically. The reason for this would be so
that localised peering (African circuits are more expensive than in most
other areas) could be more easily achieved. However, the HD Ratio would
potentially "break" my "allocation by geographical area" deployment - if
there were too many allocations in one area over another...

Then again - will I ever grow to need another IPv6 assignment? - and
worry then when I do...
I agree that the current HD ratio was too low  (0.8 = 11% utilisation) -
just maybe it doesn't need to be so high (0.92 = 51% utilisation)? -
Something like 30% to 40% instead?.. (would probably be fine for NREN's too)

(Why is this not quoted as a Percentage anyway - surely easier to
understand by more people???)

ps - the URL for this was given out wrong - its...
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-ipv6hdr20070330.htm

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE