[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv4 BoF report

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi-afrinic-rpd at mithrandi.za.net
Fri May 18 20:10:55 UTC 2007

* John Hay <jhay at meraka.org.za> [2007-05-18 16:48:36 +0200]:

> I think the biggest problem with IPv6 is the ISPs not implementing it.
> Most operating systems shipping today have IPv6 enabled or an easy way
> to enable it.

I'm not familiar with conditions in other African countries, but I
suspect the average South African home user has an ADSL / 3G / whatever
router that is not capable of IPv6, so ISP implementation is not the
only large obstacle. Perhaps some of them can have their firmware
upgraded to IPv6, but I'm not sure in how many cases that is true.

Conversely, I suppose larger organisations are probably mostly using
hardware that *is* capable of IPv6...