[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv4 BoF report

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Fri May 18 20:04:52 UTC 2007

As John said,

The harder you make it to get IPv4 and the more expensive you make it to get
IPv4 the more you promote alternative technologies.  Now, some would argue
that this would cause an amplification of NAT, I agree, to a point, however
there are limits to what you can do with NAT.  NAT also started to get
expensive, the time spent debugging, the time spent setting it up, the
additional load created by translation mechanisms, at some point it just
won't be worth it (I hope)

My view, if you want IPv4 space, as John said, then show AfriNIC you are at
the very least actively preparing for V6.  I am not normally a fan of
regulation, I prefer the more chaotic way things happen, and I generally
follow the rule that if someone digs a grave for themselves they should lie
in it, but there does come a point where for the sake of the greater good
something has to be done.  Let's face it, if there ends up in a disaster
because of very delayed migration and non-working systems, it won't only
affect those who waited too long, those who did nothing, but also those of
us that ARE ready but are now having to deal with a far less stable, far
more natted and probably far more broken environment.

With this in mind, if you want IPv4 space, prove your IPv6 readiness or
preparations to get there.

Just my 2c

Andrew