[AfriNIC-rpd] Anycast prefix's

Michuki Mwangi michuki at kenic.or.ke
Fri May 11 11:45:38 UTC 2007

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Alston wrote:

> Very basic concept:
>

> Because you cannot announce anything smaller than a /24 into the global
> tables, in order to provide for anycast you need to announce an entire
> /24, and in an anycast situation this is announced from multiple asn’s.
> AfriNIC’s current v4 policy states that the minimum allocation size on
> initial is a /22.  To use a /22 for anycast when you potentially are
> only using 3 addresses in the block is a huge waste.

If the minimal allocation is a /22 there is no written rule that one
should aggregate and announce the entire /22 it can be de-aggregated to
announce a /24 from the allocation for anycast purposes.

> To my knowledge RIPE also has a policy that allows for this kind of
> allocation.

Question would be "who runs anycast and why?.If they form part of the
critical infrastructure there is room for them to apply additional /24
for anycasting as per the current AfriNIC IPv4 policy for critical
infrastructure.

--
Michuki Mwangi
KENIC