[AfriNIC-rpd] Anycast prefix's

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Fri May 11 12:38:57 UTC 2007

Frank,

The problem with that is this:

If you apply for 2 /24s, one for anycast and one for unicast.  You fully
utilize your /24 for unicast.  Your anycast is used for 3 DNS's servers,
so you total space usage is actually one /24 + 3 DNS server addresses.
This means that when you apply for more space, your utilization is only
51%, at this point, you will probably get denied new space.

Also, because P.I space is assigned in blocks of /22 etc, you need to be
able to apply for a single /24 for anycast for a specific purpose in
order to avoid deaggregating your blocks.

For example, I apply for an address block, I get given 196.21.0.0/22

I want to anycast across the globe.  So I put down my anycast servers
and I either ask other people to announce the space under their ASN's
(which means same space, different origins, which unless the prefix is
specified as anycast in route-objects etc could cause confusion), or I
announce my asn's directly from the DNS servers (which would also work).
However, I have now got 2 routes in the routing table, one for the
196.21.0.0/22 and one for say 196.21.1.0/24 as the anycast prefix,
though they are the same block, and that's just... ugly :)

Thanks

Andrew