[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 PI policy

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Apr 1 19:28:14 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Sorry for the long email, but I think it is important if we want to reach
consensus on this.

This week in the ICANN meeting at Lisbon, I'd the opportunity to talk with
several people from different African countries.

I also had this conversation last week in Prague, during the IETF meeting
with Alain Aina.

Basically the point is that it seems that the status of "organization" in
many countries is not clear, or is easy to register, no so easy to follow
up, etc.

The issue is then that, even I'm still convinced that it will be much better
to make a policy that is only available for organizations and not
individuals (in order to make sure to exclude "regular" residential
customers), I will like to make sure that we do some progress and we agree
in supporting a single policy.

Towards this, I will like to withdraw my IPv6 PI policy proposal
afpol-v6200604 (this is the first version, I sent by email a newer version
that was never updated in the web site, but I'm referring here to withdraw
any of my IPv6 PI versions, just to avoid confusion).

I will like to ask also to Frank Habicht to consider withdrawing his
proposal (afpol-v6200606).

Then we will have a single proposal on this topic, afpol-v6200701 (which is
not updated in the web site, hopefully this can be done immediately), and I
will like to encourage everyone who was in favor of mine to explicitly
confirm in the list that they support afpol-v6200701 (if this is the case,
as I will guess).

I really think is time for the region to move ahead and make clear in the
list NOW, and make sure that the chair can declare consensus NOW, so it can
be confirmed in the meeting and no further discussion is needed on this in
the next months.

Thanks in advance to all that want to support this and will raise their
voice here.

By the way, in the last ICANN meeting, the Board of Directors took the
decision to move ahead with the support of IPv6 in the root servers. You can
read the info at http://www.ipv6tf.org/news/counter.php?id=2743.

Also, related to ICANN, there is a call for comments on nominees to the
ICANN board pre-selected by the ASO Address Council. As you know, three ASO
AC from each reagion (including AfriNIC) will be responsible to decide about
this and you can provide inputs about the candidates. See
http://www.ipv6tf.org/news/counter.php?id=2718.

Regards,
Jordi

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org