[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Mar 19 13:05:52 UTC 2007

Hi Colin,

Unless I'm missing something, I think you're getting confused. There is not
such policy requiring for 100.000 endpoints. I recall a comment about
something like that as part of the discussion of the PI policy at ARIN, but
is not part of the existing policy in any region, I think.

In case I'm wrong, could you point to the specific document ?

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>
> Responder a: <colin at thusa.co.za>
> Fecha: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:59:46 +0200
> Para: <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>, AfriNIC Resource Policy Discussion List
> <rpd at afrinic.net>
> Asunto: Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal:
> IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites
>
> JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>> The definition of an organization is not something to be done by AfriNIC, is
>> there, is a legal definition and I guess is valid in every country on the
>> world (I may be wrong): Whatever is not an individual.
>>
>> I agree with a previous comment that a individual can create an
>> organization, but typically this is done only if there is a real need
>> (creating a business, a non-profit organization, whatever). Individuals
>> don't tend to do so, especially because it cost money and a lot of paper
>> work (every year, or even every month/3 months) to justify the accounting,
>> taxes, etc. to the government.
>>
>> If an individual decides to create an organization, that's fine, they
>> deserve to be allocated a PI if it is justified by the rest of the criteria.
>
> I think with our climate we should not impose undue restrictions on
> who can and can't have PI. We are after all trying to promote internet
> penetration and IPv6 uptake. If anyone can justify through the scope
> of their infrastructure, that they require PI and can pay for it as
> well as announce it - more power to them I say. Of course, routing
> table size is of concern.
>
> That said, the equivalent policies of abroad are far more scary. Some
> of which dictate the allocation (and proof thereof) of at least
> 100,000 endpoints.
>
> --
> Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>                ______
> Software Developer, Linux & Internet Services  /\_\_\_\
> Thusa Business Support (Pty) Ltd              /\/\_\_\_\
> http://www.thusa.co.za/                      /\/\/\_\_\_\
> Tel:  (+27) 031 277 1257                     \/\/\/_/_/_/
> Fax:  (+27) 031 277 1269                      \/\/_/_/_/
>                                                 \/_/_/_/
> "To the world you may be one person, to one person you may be the
> world" ~ Rachel Ann Nunes.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org