[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Mar 19 12:26:22 UTC 2007

The definition of an organization is not something to be done by AfriNIC, is
there, is a legal definition and I guess is valid in every country on the
world (I may be wrong): Whatever is not an individual.

I agree with a previous comment that a individual can create an
organization, but typically this is done only if there is a real need
(creating a business, a non-profit organization, whatever). Individuals
don't tend to do so, especially because it cost money and a lot of paper
work (every year, or even every month/3 months) to justify the accounting,
taxes, etc. to the government.

If an individual decides to create an organization, that's fine, they
deserve to be allocated a PI if it is justified by the rest of the criteria.

I also think that the current text doesn't define if the end-site is a
single "physical location" or allows several. I think it should be the
later, and end-user-organization make it clear.

When I did the first PI proposal, it took to me long time and many
discussions with lot of folks to understand why they were asking me to use
end-user-organization (in my drafts I was using end-user/end-site
terminology). Now I'm convinced that this is the right wording, and if we
can't have an agreement on that, then is clear to me that we will have two
competing policy proposals. I don't think it helps, but seems there is no
other way.

I still don't see the harm that "end-user-organization" creates to the
intend of your policy. According to the policy proposal itself (section
"current situation"), reading in between lines, it was meant in order to
facilitate the consensus (or I'm wrong ?), but if we can't do so, it seems
to me that it was much easier allowing my previous proposal to get evolved
to match the inputs received in the last policy meeting, instead of creating
a new one to create confusion and compete.