[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Fri Mar 16 10:05:40 UTC 2007

Hi Colleagues,

I'm sending a copy of Jordi's amendments to the draft policy I
proposed for your consideration.

Kindly note that the points he intends to alter are as follows:

(a) changing the word "end-user(s)" to "end-user-organisation(s)"

(b) changing the assignment target from provides of "Public Internet
services" to providers of "services" thus;

"End-sites which provide Public Internet services for a single
administrative organisations' network, regardless of their size."

"End-sites which provide services for a single administrative
organisations' network, regardless of their size."

(c) There should be no need for assigning a prefix longer than /48;
thus a minimum assignment of a /48 or a shorter prefix if AfriNIC
deems there's justification.

Kindly review the draft (below) and post your comments on whether we
need to incorporate the changes or not.

<jordi>

**************

Provider-Independent (PI) IPv6 Assignments for End-User-Organizations

Incentive: The current policy does not allow IPv6 provider
independent (PI)
address assignment to any 'end-user-organizations'. In addition, lack of
IPv6 transport will compel many 'end-user-organizations' to tunnel.
Thus, to
avoid renumbering when IPv6 transport will be available, a provider
independent assignment seems a reasonable need. More over, not all LIR's
have IPv6 address space allocations. This makes it impossible for
end-user-organizations to get PA IPv6 address space from such upstreams
(LIR's). This policy is also aimed at providing IPv6 address space to
such
end-user-organizations as long as they already have or qualify to get PI
IPv4 addresses.

Introduction
This policy allows 'end-user-organizations' to be assigned IPv6 provider
independent (PI) addresses. 'End-user-organizations' include End-
Users who
already have or qualify to get IPv4 PI addresses and critical
Infrastructure
providers such as, but not limited to, TLD or root server operators and
public Internet eXchange Points (IXP's).

Current Situation
AfriNIC has discussed similar proposals recently during it's last two
Open
Policy meetings but both proposals have been returned to the public
mailing
lists for further discussion due to lack of consensus. This proposal
try to
put together the previous proposals and the inputs received from the
community in order to achieve consensus.

Details
(1) Assignment target:
End-user-organizations which provide services for a single
administrative
organizations' network, regardless of their size.

(2) Assignment criteria:
* The end-user-organization must not be an IPv6 LIR
* The end-user-organization must become an AfriNIC End User Member
and pay
the normal AfriNIC fee for its' membership category
* The end-user-organization must either:
    - be a holder of IPv4 PI address space or
    - qualify for an IPv4 PI assignment from AfriNIC under the IPv4
policy
currently in effect.
* The end-user-organization must justify the need for the IPv6 PI
address
space.
* The 'end-user-organization' must show a plan to use and announce
the IPv6
provider independent address space within twelve (12) months. After that
period, if not announced, the assigned IPv6 PI address space should be
reclaimed and returned to the free pool by AfriNIC.

(3) Provider Independent (PI) address space:
* The provider independent (PI) assignment should be made from a
specified
contiguous super-block, to be defined by AfriNIC.
* The initial provider independent assignment size to an end-site
should be
a /48. However a shorter prefix will be assigned by AfriNIC if the
need is
justified (examples of this need may be bigger address block required,
filtering issues, etc.).

Effect on AfriNIC
No direct effect on the existing AfriNIC members, nor changes to the
current
IPv6 allocation criteria.

**************

Some notes for your clarification:

Note that I'm using end-user-organizations, the reason for that is
because
it opens the spectrum of cases that may apply for this policy. It
seems the
same, but is not. We had long discussions about this in other regions
also

I removed "Public Internet services" because it may limit the scope.
Some
organizations may require PI even if they don't provide services
(example a
bank).

I've done also some other minor changes across the text, mainly esthetic
issues.

</jordi>

-v