[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal:IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Mar 16 09:12:01 UTC 2007

Hi Leo,

Well, I see your point, but somehow disagree ...

I think with the deployment of IPv6 we will see different ways of using
subnets. Basically, many more subnets in each end-site, compared to what we
typically see in IPv4.

We don't expect that all the possible interfaces provided by the 64 bits of
each subnet are going to be use in each subnet, and was never the intend
with the design of IPv6, because that allows autoconfiguration, privacy
addresses, CGAs, and many more things for sure to come.

I know about new technologies being developed that in fact use, in a
residential customer, hundreds of subnets. Probably /48 seems to much, but
for example, /56 (256 subnets) is too low for those cases. I'm sure that in
case of corporate customers the number of subnets will be closer to /48 than
in the case of a residential customer, as typically business have a higher
demand for addresses.

Anyway, I think, after many discussion in all the regions, is safe to have a
PI policy that starts with a /48 IF it allows the hostmaster to get a
justification for a shorter prefix in order to not limite any organization
that needs more.

I also expect some balance, in the sense of not giving each organization
exactly what they need, but allowing some grow. For example, if an
organization ask initially for a /48 and then come back for more, I think it
will be better to provide a /44 than a /46, if other regions are doing the
same, in order to simplify the filtering rules, etc. I'm sure and confident
that the RIRs operation already take care of those things and probably there
is no need to explicitly write down so many details in the policy.

Regards,
Jordi