[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal:IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Adiel A. Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Thu Mar 15 17:37:25 UTC 2007

Dear all,

> >> As for slack space for growing a range, this is a difficult issue
> >> but I think it is one which is a matter of assignment logistics and
> >> not assignment policy.
> >> Perhaps the provision of a /44 per /48 should be determined by the
> >> intended use of the block.
> > I agree with you and I think we should leave this to the RIR
> > (AfriNIC) to determine when making the assignment.
>
>I have to respectfully (strongly) disagree with this.  Unless there is a
>strong policy about the boundaries and boundaries are fixed, it leaves the
>door open to chaos (and while I am a great fan of a chaotic open internet,
>there are limits).

I will strongly suggest not to go down there as it raises several other
issues which cannot really be addressed here. A registry can not guaranty
reservation at 100% for several reasons. Further more, reservation has
an impact on global policy as it has to be taken in account for requesting
subsequent allocation from IANA. I think the role of our registration
service is to make sure that provision is made for reasonable growth and
for reasonable period. Trust the registry on that.

- a.