[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal:IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Thu Mar 15 13:10:31 UTC 2007

Hytham EL Nakhal wrote:

> Hi Jordi, Vincent, All,
>
> Thank you for your cooperation and wish you could finish the combined
> proposal before next AfriNIC-6 meeting, to have time to discuss it in
> the list to hammer it out (as Andrew said) in the next meeting..

I hope no one minds me jumping in here, if anything I say has already
been mentioned then please forgive me. I wish to say that I support
the policy regarding the provision of PI assignments.

On the issues of size, a /48 is sufficient for anything which can be
reasonably defined as an "end-site" and as far as I know is in line
with original IETF assignment policies on the matter.

As for slack space for growing a range, this is a difficult issue but
I think it is one which is a matter of assignment logistics and not
assignment policy. Perhaps the provision of a /44 per /48 should be
determined by the intended use of the block. The issue is what kinds
of end-sites will want PI pool space at this time - these will in most
cases be large organisations who can not yet negotiate an upstream
assignment.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>                ______
Software Developer, Linux & Internet Services  /\_\_\_\