[AfriNIC-rpd] Proxy votes

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Thu Mar 15 09:31:30 UTC 2007

Hi,

Can someone give me clarity if AfriNIC is willing to entertain the idea
of proxy votes in Nigeria on the V6 policy, providing the authorization
to act as proxy is provided to the proxy person in writing by the
individual wishing to be represented?

One of the major flaws of these policy meetings across the continent is
that it is not viable for remote people to be at every meeting, and it
is also not viable to vote remotely without being in attendance,
therefore there are policies that do not have sufficient votes from the
floor because of inability to travel by certain people. This is
particularly relevant on a continent where, unlike in other parts of the
world, travel is still relatively expensive and there are a lot of very
good people who simply cannot afford to travel on a constant basis to be
at every meeting!

I for one will not be able to attend the Nigeria meeting, and in the
event of the IPv6 policy going to a vote, I would like to be able to
issue a written letter of consent to an individual to act as a proxy
vote for me in this regard (giving that individual 2 votes).  I believe
that this should be permitted by standard at policy meetings as well, as
it's the only way for people on this list who have participated heavily
in discussions to actually have a vote if they cannot travel due to
other commitments.

Can anyone from the policy committee comment, and has anyone else on the
list got comments on this suggestion?

Thanks

Andrew Alston

TENET - Chief Technology Officer