[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNICPolicy Proposal:IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Hytham EL Nakhal hytham at mcit.gov.eg
Wed Mar 14 18:39:34 UTC 2007

Mark Hi,

It's long time since I hear from you .. I hope you be fine.

>>All countries proportional?? not really - Swaziland will never need as
many PI allocations as South Africa. Having said that - is it not the job of the Registry to work out these
finer points? They are doing a reasonable job so far.

First, may be I didn't clarify it well or said it in a wrong way. anyway I'm agree with you, George, and Vincent that not all countries are the same regarding their needs of PI.
and for the serial PI blocks reservation for each country (it's not a must of course, it just preferable), I think AfriNIC technical team can find an easily suitable way to do that based on IPv4 PI statistics as Vincent mentioned in his last mail.

> (c) It's however worth noting that end-users with a high demand (>> /
> 48) for v6 space can always become an LIR or acquire the same from an
> LIR. Let's not forget that the primary objective of this policy is to
> provide PI v6 for critical infrastructure providers.
>
>No they can't become an LIR - not with the current IPv6 LIR policy.....
>To become an LIR - you have to have customers you can sub-allocate to.
>UniForum SA applied to become an LIR in order to get IPv6 address space
>and was refused because they do not intend to do any sub-allocations to
>other people/organisations.

Second, I think I have to clarify how I understand two words here 'high' and 'or' when I read Vincent mail ... If an end-user has customers and he expects to have for example more than 200 /48 blocks ('high demand') so it can become an LIR.  ('or') if he don't has customers and has a high demand of PI blocks he can get it from an LIR. And if he don't has high demand he can get one, two, or three PI blocks direct from AfriNIC.

>>Is this policy for use only by Critical Infrastructure providers?
>>Who defines what this means?

>>If its "self-defining" ie - The Organisation multi-homes already with
>>IPv4 space and plans to do the same with IPv6 space - then I'm happy
>>with the wording "critical infrastructure" but not with "provider".

>>A number of the banks in South Africa do multi-home - I see no reason
>>not to allow them to be allocated PI IPv6 address space. There is a good
>>chance that a /48 would not be enough space - but how could they ever
>>become an LIR? - doesn't sound right. Sure - they could "allocate to
>>their branches" - but thats watering down what I see an LIR as being.

Third, I'm with you regarding the word 'providers' , I think it could be 'operators' for example.
And for the Bank example, we have the "National Bank" here in Egypt with more than 200 branches connected via VPN with secured (multi-home + firewall) exit to Internet . If we assume that each branch has 200 IP nodes and in worst case each branch needs its own IP network. So we need 200 IP networks which /48 can be divided into more than 200 networks and each network has more than 200 IP nodes. We couldn't take this example as a standard, I know well it's case by case.
I'm still believe that an end user using IPv6 PI block and make a good IP resource planning will not become a 'high demand' end user

Last, Mark I'm looking forward to see you in AfriNIC-6 or in Convergence conference in Egypt at the end of this month... http://www.tra.gov.eg/convergence/

Thanks,
Haitham..