[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal:IPv6ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Wed Mar 14 09:17:04 UTC 2007

Vincent,

I see your point possibly about the waste of IPv6 space, and while I
*DO* agree that we should not be over enthusiastic about the allocation
of V6 space which could cause us to run out, we need to think of this as
a balance, a balance between the size of allocations and the effect on
the routing table.

Yes, potentially there is a waste of space allocating /48s on /44
boundaries out of a /28 block, however, considering the size of the V6
space and the fact that Deutsche Telecomms managed to get their own /19
worth of IPv6 space, I really do NOT believe this is a problem
considering the effect it has on stopping the growth in the routing
table.

The entire reason that the IPv4 routing table is sitting at over 200
thousand routes today and growing so fast is in my opinion about the
size of allocations and the boundaries on which they are done.

At the moment (in IPv4)

Company A starts, they want to multihome, and they go and get some P.I
space, a /24

Tomorrow they grow, they go and get another /24, maybe a /23 this time

A few months from now, they grow some more, they ask for ANOTHER
allocation, now they are advertising 3 prefix's because there was no
boundary to expand to stop this happening.

The future I envisage:

Company A starts, and gets a /48 prefix

Tomorrow they grow, open a new office, they contact afrinic and go "We
need more space", AfriNIC replies "Sure, take your /48 and make it a
/47"

Company A goes into their router, replaces the mask on the BGP
announcement, routing table doesn't grow, problem solved.

The reason for doing it out of a /28 or a /26 is purely so that there
can be filtering of the smaller segments, in line with what ARIN is
doing.

To do /48s out of a /32 block is to repeat a chronic mistake made in the
past that will lead to the very growth in the routing table that people
are so scared of with regards P.I IPv6 Space.  What I'm proposing I
believe is the middle ground between space preservation and routing
table growth.  It's also almost identical to what ARIN has done and
keeps up in line with the other regions.

I think we'd be foolish to assume as well that 65536 /48s will ever be
enough, it might be today, it might be next year, and the year after,
but there are more than 800 million people on the African continent,
that makes for a LOT of companies, and today, in Africa internet access
is expensive, technology is expensive, technical know-how is limited,
however, we cannot use that as a reason to not plan for tomorrow.  I
strongly believe that Africa needs to move forward with a vision of what
we can be tomorrow, where Internet penetration rates are the same as
they are in Europe and the States, where the technology is the same and
the pricing is the same.  In that future, multi-homing and P.I is a
necessity, and 65k /48s will not cut it.  Lets avoid yet ANOTHER mistake
I so often see, and not underestimate the capacity for growth on the
African continent!

Thanks

Andrew