[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6 ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Vincent Ngundi vincent at kenic.or.ke
Tue Mar 13 13:51:01 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Below is a summary of the above policy as per the discussions we have
had so far.

So far, we have the following arguments:

(a) Andrew Levin 	(30.01.2007)
proposed that we should not assign prefixes < /48 due to concerns
about the global routing table

(b) Frank Habitcht 	(30.01.2007)
was in agreement that there was need for PI assignments < /48
especially in the case of IXP's since the prefix would not appear in
the global routing table.

(c) Mark Elkins		(01.02.2007)
Suggested that each /48 assignment should be made from a unique /32
(which should be preserved to accommodate  growth)

 From the above points:

(b) above seems to have outweighed (a) above and as such we should
allow for the assignment prefixes < /48 as per the draft.

as for (c) above, organisations which require >= /32 should become an
LIR.

In conclusion, it seems that the draft policy should remain as it is.

Currently statistics:

* Yea (those in support of the policy)			:	6
* Nay (those _not in support of the policy)		:	1

Finally, I wish to encourage more members of the community to give
their views on this policy, or at least indicate whether they are in
favour of it or not.

Abuja is only 5 weeks away!

-v