[afrinic-resource-policy-discuss] Fwd: afrinic ipv6 PI policy

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Tue Feb 20 10:20:39 UTC 2007

Hi all,

This email is to appeal for an interim resolution/allocation of IPv6
PI space. (I pasted below the first email on this sent over 2 years
ago).

Having sat in the policy deliberations on this matter in Maputo,
Cairo and Nairobi, and hearing at each of those meetings how a Domain
Name registry would like to empower its community by offering IPv6
capability, I am surprised at the current state of this process and
recent events.

Every time that the PI policy on IPv6 has been discussed everyone had
agreed that the allocation should be at least /48. Whilst some have
debated for /32's because of concerns with global routing tables
we've all agreed that a /48 can be delegated asap.  Policy WG
chair... this is an urgent appeal for relaxation (ie enable the
consensus that a /48 can be immediately allocated).  What seem to be
unnecessary delays in promulgating this policy, are now seriously
hampering our country from embracing IPv6.

Please, even if we don't yet have agreement on this policy, either
you must give the allocation (as has been turned down as the registry
which provides critical infrastructure does not wish - or need to -
become an LIR) or the registry needs to turn to private individuals
to obtain an allocation. Doesn't make sense to me?

Please help!

regards,

Alan

Begin forwarded message: