[afrinic-resource-policy-discuss] Re: [resource-policy] AfriNIC Policy Proposal: IPv6 ProviderIndependent (PI) Assignment for End-Sites

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Feb 1 15:37:31 UTC 2007

Vincent Ngundi wrote:
> Thanks Bill,
>
> And thanks for _clearly indicating that you support the policy. I
> think it would be a good idea for those who support the policy to come
> out and say so explicitly.

I support the policy. One bit thats not clear, is each /48 (whatever)
assignment in its own unique /32 or are all /48's in a single (for now)
/32 ?

In RIPE, many IXP's are in the same 2001:7f8::/32 space,
ie DE-CIX = 2001:7f8:0::/48   (They were first so have the slightly
confusing look of being a /32)
    LIPEX   = 2001:7f8:5::/48

This would appear to be a good thing to do - ISP's should never need
more space than a /48....

However, for companies of unknown size and growth that request PI space
- it might be more appropriate to put them in their own unique /32. I,
however, see no reason not to make these /32's allocated back-to-back
(numerically consecutive).

When an LIR gets a /32 - there is a spacing of /28 between each
allocation - allowing for that same RIR to be allocated further /32's
which are consecutive.

> Regards,
>
> -Vincent
>
> On Jan 30, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>
>> This seems like an eminently sensible policy to me.  In addition,
>> it's admirably clearly written.  A quality other RIRs' members could
>> benefit by emulating.
>>
>> I support this policy.
>>

>>                          -Bill
>>
>> Please excuse the brevity of this message; I typed it on my pager. I
>> could be more loquacious, but then I'd crash my car.

  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE
/ |/ |ARK \_/ /__ LKINS  Tel: +27 12 807 0590  Cell: +27 82 601 0496