[policy-wg] IPV6 PI space

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Dec 14 14:48:22 UTC 2006

Andrew Alston wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> Unfortunately I was unable to attend the AfriNIC meeting in Mauritius due to
> other commitments, however, having been involved in the P.I debate for a
> while and having kept a close watch on the developments in this regard
> around the world, I tend to take a different view on this.

Yup - we missed you :-) Was a lovely location.
> I firmly believe that with regards P.I space, a /48 allocation is enough.
> Firstly, for IXP space, there is a trend to move towards /126 networks on
> point to point allocations (do not use /127's, there are a variety of
> reasons for this), therefore, IXP's could operate off a single /48,
> utilizing /64's per IXP, and utilizing /126 networks for the actual peering
> requirements.

Our teachers in Mauritius (Jordi and Phillip Smith) seemed to suggest
that a point-to-point connection should use a /126 but for almost every
other case, use a /64 - ie - for individual machines on a LAN (including
Routers). Regardless - a /48 make perfect sense for an IXP. What I am
suggesting is rather issue a /44 to the local industry body that is
managing the infrastructure to reduce the work-load of AfriNIC. Either
way - the extra number of routes in global routing tables will be the
same - which should be zero - excepting for access to local IXP's. This
is meant to be a Policy for African IXP's.  I really don't see more than
4000 ISPA type organisations in Africa.
> Secondly, with regards to end user networks, for AfriNIC to allocate /32's
> in P.I space would again run contrary to what the global trends are, ARIN
> has agreed to /48 P.I space, and (someone correct me if I 'm wrong here),
> APNIC is about to ratify their /48 P.I policy.
>
> Considering that /48 amounts to 2^16 (65536) /64's, each of which can be an
> end point network, a /48 should be more than sufficient for P.I allocations
> to individual companies.  ISP's should qualify for /32s and become LIR's if
> they want the /32s and are allocating onwards.
>
> I would prefer therefore that as per global trends, AfriNIC allocates a set
> block out of which to assign /48 P.I prefix's (possibly a /30 or a /31), and
> assigns the /48s outta that prefix for all P.I space.  That block can then
> be made public, so that those of us that update filters to filter /48
> deaggregated announcements can add exceptions for the specified prefix.
>
> I would say that where companies have more than one physical location there
> could potentially be an exception to this policy, so that a company that has
> multiple physically diverse branches, might for example qualify for multiple
> /48s, purely for the purpose of better routing aggregation, but again, these
> /48s out of the same block referred to earlier.
>
> The above would be more in line with what is done globally, and would avoid
> the complications of BGP filters that were different for different regions!

Whether a /32 or a /48 is allocated for PI should make little difference
to International Routing Tables, in fact allocating a /32 would
potentially reduce the number of entries - where an organisation finds a
/48 "too small" (again - we were sort of taught that a /48 should be
allocated per business location). By allocating a /32, you'll empower
that organisation to become an LIR without any renumbering inconvenience
- and have the simplicity that all allocations are then the same size -
except for Exchange Points. I guess I'm more concerned with Router
memory than attempting to waste IPV6 space?
I'm also more for separating those that will never need more space
(IXP's) from those that probably will need more space (organisations
with existing IPV4 PI space).
Allocating /32's has zero impact on different filters for different
regions :-)
I'm all for the same size filters though (ie either /32's or /48's) ...
I just think that if you are too big for a /48 - then you should go
straight to a /32.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE