[policy-wg] IPV6 PI space

Mark J Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Thu Dec 14 12:40:57 UTC 2006

Firstly - the training and knowledge received in Mauritius was great
with respect to IPV6. This has allowed me to better understand the needs
and concerns of others. However - I am by no means the expert and
expected to be corrected when incorrect.

I believe there needs to be some sort of PI policy. I do not believe
that is is very healthy for Exchange Points (IXP's) to use the address
space of a particular ISP. I also believe that its unhealthy for some
organisations (eg - CCTLD's) that currently have IPV4 PI space and who
are Multi-Homed to also have space from any particular ISP.

I believe that AfriNIC needs two different PI allocation policies for
these two different areas:

For Exchange Points
---------------------------

These need a small, non-wasteful, low maintenance allocation - for
example, an allocation of a /44 would allow for 16 "networks" (each of
/48) to be established. A /48 is more than suitable for a single (even
geographically dispersed) IXP, thus a /44 should be sufficient for a
country or a countries ISPA. (By this - I'm thinking of South Africa
with currently only one active peering point, but with potential
expansion to a total of three points - but all managed by a single ISPA
type organisation).
I'd like to see AfriNIC allocate these /44's out of a single /32, which
means there are 4096 of these allocations available. These should be
only used for IXP's and should (I'd like to suggest) have no
re-occurring charge associated with them.
The allocation could be made to the ISPA type organisation - so that
there is no need for ongoing maintenance of the allocation (or at least
greatly reduce the maintenance burden on AfriNIC).
I see this as promoting the use of IPV6 and also of IXP's (and ISPA's)
within the AfriNIC region.
By allocating a /44, the Reverse DNS responsibilities (and hence - usage
of AfriNIC resources) is minimalised and filtering could also be done on
/44's. The allocations should be made on /40 boundaries so when there is
a need to allocate a particular country (or ISPA) with additional space,
to do so from the same /40. This allows for 256 different "countries".
Technically - IXP allocations do not need to be globally route-able - so
this type of allocation should be fine.
The other assumption here is that the IXP (or ISPA - whatever) is a
non-commercial (non-profit) organisation - in order to be exempt from
re-occurring fees.
(By extension, maybe even allocate a /32 to AfrISPA - and let them
delegate onwards? - but I'm trying to not have options)

For other existing holders of IPV4 PI Space

For all organisations that currently have IPV4 PI space within the
AfriNIC region, they should be allowed to obtain full /32's of IPV6
space. Prerequisites should be: Holding AfriNIC IPV4 PI space, an
AfriNIC ASN and Proof of Multi-Homing within the AfriNIC region - or
proof that it has been requested and is impending.
(kiss - Keeping It Simple)

No policy is exempt from changes in the future. The above policy
suggestions are to tackle todays requirements whilst keeping them
flexible enough that they may serve the AfriNIC regions needs for the
next few years.

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, SCO ACE, Cisco CCIE