[policy-wg] Last Call for policy afpol-as200407-000

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Tue Nov 14 23:35:33 UTC 2006

At 05:44 PM 14/11/2006, Ernest Byaruhanga (AfriNIC) wrote:
>Frank Habicht wrote the following on 11/14/2006 06:08 AM:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm supporting this proposal. It should be ratified. seeing that
> > the first date is not far from now, maybe (all) RIRs can start
> > asking IANA for some first small 4-byte ASN allocations...?
>
>The IESG are still doing the RFC that specifies the format, etc for
>32-bit ASNs. Until this is done, we cant request for a 32-bit ASN
>block just yet.

At this stage the IESG has approved an IANA Early Allocation of the
extended AS number space, and the ticket to create the expanded AS
Number registry at the IANA is now with IANA. Once this ticket is
processed, which I assume will be in days rather than weeks or
months, then the IANA will be in a position to process requests from
the RIRs for these AS number blocks with non-zero high order 16 bits.
So the bottom line is that if the AfriNIC community chose to adopt
this policy we appear to be on track to be able to meet the dates,
and, in particular, we are still confident that we would be ready by
1 January 2007.

regards,

     Geoff Huston
      APNIC