[policy-wg] AfriNIC policy: IPv6 for critical infrastructure

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun Oct 15 10:22:28 UTC 2006

Hi Frank,

My email was not referring to any specific proposal, just trying to get more
people voicing opinions about all those under discussion.

Regarding the prefix size, the point is still the same. The RIRs doesn't
warrantee routability, but I think it will be a bit silly to set a policy
that uses a prefix size that can't be viewed from everywhere, especially for
critical infrastructures.

I've seen this with several critical infrastructures in other regions, where
the /48 was not reachable some times. How much "good" is that for a
"critical infrastructure" ? For me the answer is clear ...

The only "disadvantage" of a /32 is that some people could consider it as a
waste. But let's be realistic, even if the predictions can always fail,
which current policies the life of IPv6 will be around 480 years. Do you
really believe we are "wasting" addressing space ?

Let me give you a very simple example of the routability problem. APNIC has
a /32 for their own use. However, they announce two separate /33 blocks,
because they have two data centers. Some days I can't reach their web site,
because some ISPs don't like the /33.

Do you still think a /32 is bad and a /48 will make it ?

Regards,
Jordi