[policy-wg] Global IPv6 PI policy proposal

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon May 15 07:02:59 UTC 2006

Hi Andrew,

See my response below in-line.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Andrew Alston <aa at tenet.ac.za>
> Responder a: AfriNIC Policy Working Group List <policy-wg at afrinic.net>
> Fecha: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:02:59 +0200
> Para: AfriNIC Policy Working Group List <policy-wg at afrinic.net>
> Asunto: RE: [policy-wg] Global IPv6 PI policy proposal
>
> Hi All,
>
> I've given this policy a fair bit of thought.  I am a major proponent of PI v6

Let's start with something that may be shocking for some. I'm not in favor
of PI. I'm in favor of keeping the maximum aggregation and having a
contention in the routing tables (there are studies that show that we will
pass over the million of entries in a few years, which is not good at all).

However, I think is not good that a region has PI and not the rest, because
the global cost of routing is shared by all the regions. This will be very
unfair.

I also understand at the same time those companies that are in need for a
solution to PI (multihomed or not), and this is why I want to see this
proposal adopted, or alternatively a way for any company which needs IPv6
space, to become an LIR and receive addressing space. This is not possible
today because they not sub-assign the space to other entities, but only to
their own ones.

> space, however, I do not agree with the /32 allocation.  Yes, while there is a
> LOT of IPv6 space, the use of /32s in the PI arena violates the (widely
> accepted?) recommendations in RFC 3177 and quite frankly is unnecessarily
> large in my opinion.  It is also out of line with what I believe is ARIN's
> recently adopted stance when they approved the assignment of /48 P.I space.

My understanding is that the ARIN decision is still on the hands of the
Advisory Council, so the prefix length is not yet fixed as they can suggest
modifications to the policy proposal.

RFC3177 is not related at all to this case, in my opinion, as it clearly
states that is only addressing the issues of the boundary between the public
and private topology and the PI space is addressing the issue of making
public some private topologies which are on the need for it.

There is so much IPv6 space than if we agree with the HD-Ratio change which
is actually being approved in most of the regions (I guess it will become in
all of them), the expectative are for 480+ years of IPv6 addresses lifetime.
In my opinion, the impact of a PI policy allocating /32, will be minimum on
this and even if we only have IPv6 addresses for 100 years, I really think
is more than enough. Actually I doubt that we will keep using IPv4/IPv6 at
all in that time, even we may be still will call IP to the protocol that we
use by then. But of course, this is just predictions and we can be, all,
wrong.

In my opinion the important cost here is keeping the routing table low and
at the same time not putting the cost in human resources to configure
allow-/48 filters in each router, everytime there is a new PI allocation.
Comparing this with the cost of "investing" a few extra /32 is quite
positive on this balance.

> I have heard many arguments regarding the pro's and con's of P.I space, but
> the primary one I hear time and again revolves around the size of the routing
> table should /48s start appearing in the table due to P.I assignments.  Quite
> frankly, to my knowledge, the routing table has *NEVER* kept up with moore's
> law, in v4 or v6, far far from it.  But beyond the moore's law argument, as
> again, many people would say that is irrelevant, there are other things we can
> consider here.

You need to see the latest presentations from Jason Schiller and Geoff
Houston ...

> At current, if we look at the size of the routing table in the v4 world, yes,
> its large and its growing, but why is this the case?  Current assignment
> policies with regards to v4 dictate that a company gets their space in
> relatively small blocks, and as the companies grow and mature, they require
> more and more v4 space.  This means they apply for multiple blocks, and
> announce multiple blocks, which results in many companies announcing P.I space
> announcing multiple routes.  In the case of IPv6 and /48 blocks, this should
> not happen.
>
> The /48 block contains a vast number of addresses, and is easily subnettable
> due to its size to allow for decent aggregation within most companies.  I
> would say that in the case of very large organizations, there should be an
> option to apply for a bigger P.I block if the motivation exists, perhaps a /46
> or a /47, purely on the basis that some organizations may need large blocks
> for internal aggregation due to number of sites or other such reasons.
>
> Other than that, I would support this policy and recommend it be passed,
> providing we can sort out the issues around the size of allocations.

Take also in consideration that I'm still believing that we will have in a
few years better technical solutions (and not just one) and considering
that, /32 will not be a trouble, specially because is a temporary allocation
and some of the entities needing it, may not need it forever.

Last, but not least, consider that the alternative is to allow those
entities to become an LIR, and in that case they will also get a /32. So
what makes the difference ?.

Also, note that I'm not proposing that those companies aren't charged for
this. Actually I didn't say anything about the charging scheme because I
understand that it falls in hands of the AfriNIC board. My view is that any
entity receiving resources must share the cost in a similar fair way as the
rest of the members. I will accept an exception for non-profit organizations
and services if that's acceptable for the rest of the community.