[policy-wg] Change in ASN policy: Eligibility criteria Section 4

Gregory Massel gregm at datapro.co.za
Wed Apr 20 10:48:10 UTC 2005

> Due to the effects of the new pricing model for ARIN customers, I am not
> yet in favour of this additional requirement. I have discussed this with
> members of ISPA SA and proposing a new model at the meetings.

I second that. I feel it is completely unreasonable to impose an additional
$400 per annum on organisations that simply require an ASN.

In general, I am not a fan of any of the RIR's policies that force
organisations to become members in order to obtain resources. This just
creates a situation where a number of people who view the RIR purely as a
resource provider are forced to receive email that they just delete and
makes it difficult to assess the involvement of interested parties at
meetings, in the policy process, etc.

I gather that part of this - at least in certain jurisdictions - has been
for tax or structural purposes. In some jurisdictions it may be tricky for a
non-profit organisation to receive income rather than membership fees.
Unless there is a such a tax/structural requirement for AfriNIC, I'd
strongly encourage a split between membership fees from resource fees.

--Greg