[Measurement-wg] Measuring Internet Resilience - Uganda Internet shutdown

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed Jan 20 08:01:01 UTC 2021

On 19 Jan 2021 at 20:51, Amreesh Phokeer wrote:

> Hello Paulos,

> You can see some data collected and analysis done in these multiple places.

> As you can see, BGP prefixes were removed, most probably BGP sessions were shut down.

Thanks for the data, very interesting. It appears right that I called this measurement around a
"balck hole" which we can now see clearly.

Also interesting to note is that more than 90% of the Uganda-IX traffic is dependent on
international connectivity or was the local network around the IXP also shutdown?. I am
wondering also if that may also be based on CDNs and their related external management
and cache fill issues.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda