[Measurement-wg] Mobile traffic measurement project

Hugo Salgado hsalgado at nic.cl
Fri Jul 24 16:33:48 UTC 2020

Dear Measurement WG.
My name is Hugo Salgado, from .CL, the ccTLD for Chile,
South America.

I attended your great webinar about measurements in Africa
this week. Let me congratulate you for the excellent content,
and especially for the interesting projects you have done
and plan to carry out.

In part of the webinar you discussed measurement systems for
cellphones on mobile networks, and the lack of awareness of
such projects. Please let me share a project in which we work
with the NIC Chile laboratory, which belongs to the University
of Chile.

Its name is "Adkintun mobile". It consists of a client that is
installed on android phones, and a server that receives
measurements periodically. Both parts are open source, and you
can try it yourselves:
https://github.com/niclabs/adkintunmobile-server
https://github.com/niclabs/adkintunmobile-androidclient

The website of the project is in spanish, but you can see some
research papers in:
http://adkintunmobile.cl/#research
with the results of studies from 2013-2015.

As discussed in the webinar, one of the main problems with this
type of measurement is getting volunteers to install the client,
mainly due to the traffic used in active testing. This is why
since last year we're working on a new project that performs only
passive measurements, without generating any extra traffic from
that is made normally by the user. This project is still in
development, unfortunately its source is not available yet, but
it will be as soon as it's in a mature state.

Hope you'll find this information useful. Anyone can install the
client just to try it from Google Play, install a local
Adkintun architecture, or just use the code as a basis for a
new tool. And let me know anything I could help!

Best regards,

Hugo Salgado