[Measurement-wg] State of Internet Measurement in Africa - A Survey

Sanoussi Rachad rachadsanoussi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 19:34:56 UTC 2020

Great work,
I stress that there is a real need for real awareness of this issue in
countries, starting with local ISOC Chapters. Even in universities,
students should be interested in researching this area. I would be happy to
research this direction to help improve the Internet connection in Africa.
Also, there should even be periodic measurement campaigns in each region.
Also, it is important to encourage the hosting of RIPE Atlas probes to
facilitate measurements.
Thank you.

Le mar. 25 févr. 2020 à 16:59, Amreesh Phokeer <amreesh at afrinic.net> a
écrit :

> Hi all,

> Recently published:

> https://afrinic.net/research/state-of-internet-measurement-in-africa

> This paper presents the results of a survey aimed at understanding the

> status of Internet measurement platforms usage, deployment and capabilities

> in Africa. It presents findings related to prevalence of measurement in the

> region, the reasons why the different business categories investigated

> conduct Internet measurement as well as the metrics of interest to these

> entities. The survey also looked at the popular measurement platforms that

> the respondents use in their measurement activities as well as the

> platforms that are hosted by businesses and users in the African region.

> The survey also recorded responses related to data handling and privacy

> considerations. A total of 123 responses were received from 34 countries.

> The survey revealed that Internet measurements are not widely conducted in

> the region largely due to the inadequacy of deployed measurement platforms,

> the lack of awareness in the subject, and the lack of relevant skills to

> carry out the measurement tasks. We outlined some recommendations to remedy

> these issues.

> Happy reading.

> Regards,

> Amreesh

> --

> Amreesh D. Phokeer

> Research Manager, AFRINIC

> t: +230 403 51 00 | f: +230 466 6758 | tt: @afrinic | w: www.afrinic.net

> facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia

> @amreesh

> Skype: amreesh.afrinic

Rachad SANOUSSI (Ir),
Computer Science, Networks and Telecommunications Engineer
Laboratory technician at PHORAN (phoran.org <http://projetphoran.org/>)
Polytechnic of Abomey-Calavi
Mobile: (+229) 67 30 62 94 / 94 18 97 76
Université d'Abomey-Calavi / www.uac.bj